The ninth album from The Great Park on Woodland Recordings. Recorded alone in Ireland.
INCLUDES 6 TRACK BONUS EP 'THE DOGS'.
1. It’s called ‘Cellar’. The title is inspired by an incident that occurred last year here in Berlin and to which I’ve attached an unrealistic amount of importance and significance. Let’s call it a watershed - a before and after type of thing.
2. I wrote half of it in Berlin and the other half in Ireland. Half of the songs are implicitly about things that happened since the cellar incident, one song is old and nonsensical, the others fell out whilst away from Berlin.
3. It’s short. 31 minutes or thereabouts - this isn’t normal for me and I hope that no one feels short-changed.
4. No one else plays on it. I’m not trying to be clever or anything, but there was no one else about when I recorded it and I have this thing about recording in one space and didn’t want to spread the thing out between different cities and weeks apart and all. So there’s no violin or electric guitar or too much in the way of musicianship.
5. There isn’t any artwork to speak of. I just wanted to finish it and be straight and get on with something else - so it’s not dressed up too much. Again, I hope this is ok with everyone. It still has to cost money to buy because it costs money to make and it costs money to send. But it’s not pretty to look at.
6. There’s an ep called ‘The Dogs’ that goes with it - it has 6 songs that are different versions of some from the album. Normally I would put these up for free one at a time over a few weeks or so, but they sit together and they add to the whole thing so they go with it now.
7. It feels slight - that’s not to apologise for it - but it feels that way to me. I wrote some horrible things and they came out in a weird way - who knows how it works.' (Stephen Burch)
released 01 March 2010
all rights reserved
feeds for ,